The Transparency International EU Office in Brussels (TI EU) is seeking a highly motivated intern for its anti-money laundering (AML) and asset recovery (AR) work. The Intern will work under the supervision of the Senior Policy Officer responsible for anti-money laundering at TI EU. As part of its anti-money laundering workstream, Transparency International is running an advocacy campaign towards the reform of the EU asset recovery policy framework and the adoption of an EU-wide global sanction regime against human rights violations and corruption. Activities under this project will include the production of policy research and analysis, the organisation of events and advocacy meetings with key EU stakeholders, diverse communication and awareness raising activities. The Intern will also be expected to contribute to and assist with other AML-related activities and campaigns as deemed relevant (e.g. golden visas, AML supervision).
The Transparency International EU Office is part of the global civil society organisation leading the fight against corruption. Together with more than 100 national offices worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, Germany, TI EU raises awareness of the damaging effects of corruption at the EU level. The EU Office promotes transparency, integrity and accountability in EU policies and institutions.
Main function: Intern, Anti-money laundering & Asset recovery
Starting date: 1 February 2021 or as soon as possible
Duration: 6 months
Type of contract: Convention d’Immersion Professionelle under Belgian law
Location : Brussels, Belgium (remote working for at least the first three months)
Traineeship allowance: 1000 EUR per month, work from home allowance, lunch vouchers, mobile phone support, hospitalisation insurance and bicycle benefit
- Assist in the management and execution of TI EU projects related to asset recovery and anti-money laundering, including reporting, liaising with project partners and other relevant stakeholders, etc.
- Support the research and analysis work in the field of asset recovery and anti-money laundering
- Assist in the planning and organisation of webinars, online events and meetings
- Support EU policy and media monitoring in the assigned areas
- Assist in the design and implementation of the internal and external communications strategy in the assigned areas (e.g. drafting and editing articles and blogs, and support with multimedia and social media activities)
- Attend and report on relevant (online) events and conferences
- Perform other ad hoc duties as required
Knowledge, experience, and skills
- University degree or equivalent experience in European Studies, Economics, Law, Political Sciences, International Relations, Communications or other social science related field
- Excellent knowledge of English (written and spoken) is a requirement.
- Demonstrated knowledge of EU institutions and EU-level policy making
- Experience in policy research and analysis and in event organisation would be a plus
- Strong writing and creative communication skills including through multimedia and social media communications tools
- Excellent organisational skills including proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Considerable interest in the work of TI and the field of anti-corruption
- Team-player, practical approach to problem solving and ability to work in a small team in a multi-cultural working environment
- A commitment to the values and goals of Transparency International
TI EU is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.
Applications should be submitted in English by completing the form below and include a CV and cover letter.
The deadline for applications is Sunday 17 January 2021 at 23:59 Brussels time.
Shortlisted applicants will be asked to take part in an online interview.
Please note that applicants must be a resident of Belgium or have the right to reside and work in Belgium.
We will only be able to contact successful candidates.
This vacancy is no longer open, we will be contacting shortlisted candidates soon.