Thursday 18 October 2018 – 09:00-11:30
European Parliament, Rue Wiertz 60, Brussels, Room ASP 3H1
Transparency International EU (TI EU) and Publish What You Pay (PWYP) invite you to a conference on transparency in the oil, gas and mining sectors. Hosted by S&D Group MEP Sergio Cofferati, the event focuses on the current state and review of the EU Accounting Directive with regard to the transparency and accountability requirements for the extractive sector. This game-changing legislation was adopted in 2013 and requires large oil, gas, mining and logging companies listed and registered in the EU to disclose their revenue payments to the governments of the countries they are active in on a project-by-project basis. The European Commission is currently carrying out a review of the legislation and should publish its findings and recommendations in the first half of 2019.
The event will bring together representatives of the European Parliament and the European Commission as well as industry representatives and civil society from resource rich countries to exchange views on the implementation of the legislation and possible improvements. The event’s keynote speech will be delivered by Financial Times investigations correspondent Tom Burgis, author of the book ‘The Looting Machine’.
The event has a limited number of seats. Breakfast will be provided in the room as of 08:30.
Please confirm your participation in this event through this registration link.
You can access the live stream of the event through this link.
Deadline for registration is Thursday 11 October.
18 October 2018, 09:00 – 11:30
European Parliament, Room ASP 3H1
08:00 – 09:00 Registration and breakfast
09:00 – 09:10 Welcoming and opening remarks
- MEP Sergio Cofferati, S&D Group
09:10 – 09:20 Introductory speech
- Eric Ducoulombier, Acting Director of Investment and Company Reporting, DG FISMA, European Commission
09:20 – 09:35 Keynote speech – Corruption in the oil and mining industry
- Tom Burgis, Investigations Correspondent, Financial Times, author of ‘The Looting Machine: Warlords, Oligarchs, Corporations, Smugglers and the Theft of Africa’s Wealth’
09:35 – 10:25 Panel I: The EU’s extractives’ transparency legislation five years later: use of data and first findings
Chair: MEP Pascal Durand, Group of Greens/EFA
- Louise Crawford, University of Newcastle
- Elena Gaita, Transparency International EU
- Ali Idrissa, Publish What You Pay Niger
10:30 – 11:20 Panel II: Next steps and opportunities in extractives’ transparency: The European Commission’s legislative review
Chair: MEP Sergio Cofferati, S&D Group
- Alain Deckers, Head of Unit, Accounting and financial reporting, DG FISMA, European Commission
- Jannik Lindbæk, Head of Equinor EU Affairs Office
- James Royston, Publish What You Pay International
11:20 – 11:30 Closing remarks
- MEP Pascal Durand, Group of Greens/EFA